Hopefully you’ve heard Coffee With Kenobi is giving away two tickets to Awesome Con 2018 to one lucky winner — If not, you can find out how to enter for your chance to win right here! Awesome Con takes place in Washington DC from Friday, March 30, through Sunday, April 1. The guest list is extensive and impressive — John Boyega (Finn, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi) being a real stand-out! Awesome Con has added even more excitement to the weekend with more Star Wars related events you won’t want to miss, especially if you’re a fan of BB-8!
Find out more below:
The BB-8 Production Team
• Names: Matt Denton, Electronics Design and Development Supervisor, Josh Lee, Senior Animatronic Designer
• Matt’s Bio: Matt’s film and TV career started in 1994 as a model maker and set dresser. With a background in electronics and computer engineering, he applied his electronics skills within the film effects industry and soon moved on to work on complex animatronic models for various companies including Jim Henson’s Creature Shop. He has been developing and specializing in animatronic control systems for many years and has worked on projects including Lost In Space (1998), Harry Potter & The Prisoner of Azkaban (2004), Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire (2005), Wolfman (2010), Prometheus (2012), The Worlds End (2013), Star Wars The Force Awakens (2015), Star Wars Rogue One (2016), Star Wars The Last Jedi (2017), Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom (2018) and most recently Star Wars Solo (2018).
“The ‘Red Carpet’ BB-8 built by myself and colleague Josh Lee has to be the highlight of my career so far! Driving BB-8 on stage at Star Wars Celebration (Anaheim 2015) in front of a live audience including J.J. Abrams and Kathleen Kennedy was terrifying! But the audience reaction was something I’ll never forget, utterly exhilaration to experience… but no place for failure!”
Other interesting projects include his six legged walking robots (hexapods) that have been exhibited at many events including the Science Museum and V&A Museum London. The most recent hexapod ‘Mantis’ completed in 2012 weighs in at 4400 lb and is powered by a turbo diesel engine!
• Josh’s Bio: Josh has been making animatronics and weird mechanical stuff for the UK film industry for 25 years. Having made Mangalores for The Fifth Element, he joined forces with Matt to make Fawkes the Phoenix for Harry Potter and recently engineered dinosaurs for Jurassic World 2, Josh now has a running total of 6 Star Wars movies under his belt; he worked as an animatronic designer on Episodes I and II, mechanised K2-S0 for Rogue One and is now the build supervisor and chief engineer of BB-8.
• They will be at the show on Saturday, March 31. Images attached. They will have signings, meet & greets with Fans and a panel.
• Panel: BB-8 and The Future of Droids | 3:15 PM | Ballroom
Official Lucasfilm The Last Jedi Costume and Prop Exhibit
• Description: A galaxy from far, far away is coming to Awesome Con! Fans will be able to take step into the Star Wars universe with an exhibit of official Lucasfilm costumes and props from The Last Jedi. The exhibit will feature costumes from fan favorite characters like Rey and Luke Skywalker, as well as lightsabers and even a Porg! Make sure to check it out all weekend in the Backlot booth #339.
Find out more at AwesomeCon.com.
Thank you to Awesome Con.Powered by Sidelines