Core Worlds Couture With Jay Krebs
Welcome to a special edition of Core Worlds Couture!
With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, I thought it would be the perfect time to suggest some ways to celebrate the special relationships and people in our lives, Star Wars-style, of course! Read on to find some great one-of-a-kind DIY ideas, as well as awesome Star Wars gifts that are just a click of the mouse away!
First, a little gesture from the kitchen. This is a simple recipe and procedure that anyone could do, and it has the perfect combination of Valentine’s Day and Star Wars vibes.
This is an idea that I first published in 2008 on Star Wars Chicks. At the time, I was a food/recipe contributor, and this was one of the recipes I developed. My whole family loved it, and it continues to be a favorite dessert in my household. Imagine what a sweet surprise this would be as a dessert for Valentine’s Day!
One box of Red Velvet cake mix (I used Duncan Hines).
Powedered sugar (for dusting-optional, but I highly suggest it)
Vanilla ice cream (or frozen yogurt)
Strawberry sauce topping (I used the Good Value brand from Wal-Mart)
* Preheat oven to 350F
1. Prepare cake mix according to package directions (you’ll need 3 eggs, vegetable oil and water)
2. Grease and lightly flour six Pyrex glass custard cups, large size (You can make eight smaller cakes if you use the smaller custard cups – these turn out pretty big), and place them on a jelly-roll pan for baking. You can also use stoneware ramekin dishes as well.
3. Pour the prepared batter in the custard cups, about 2/3 full.
4. Place the jelly-roll pan with the filled custard cups in the preheated oven, and bake for approx. 25 minutes. You’ll want to check after about 15 minutes – the centers should be almost done, but a little gooey (some batter on toothpick).
5. Remove from oven and allow the cakes to cool for a couple of minutes.
6. Use a butter knife or baking spatula to loosen the cakes from the edges of the custard cups/ramekins, then invert onto individual serving plates.
7. Cut the center out of the cake – just enough to form the top of a “volcano.”
8. Dust with powdered (confectioner’s) sugar if desired…if you’re like Palpatine you can use Unnnnnliiiimited Poooooowder if you like…
8. Top with scoop(s) of vanilla ice cream and finish with the strawberry sauce – to taste. Calories don’t count on Valentine’s Day, right?!
For any leftover cakes – Put the cooled cakes in the microwave to re-heat them just a tad before eating. The centers will finish baking, but it’s still just as yummy!
I’ve also added red sprinkles to this – one can never go wrong with sprinkles – and I imagine some mini Red Hots would be a rather tasty addition as well!
Enjoy! Let me know if you try this recipe, and what you thought!
Now, how about some fun Star Wars-inspired gift ideas from around the Web?!
I am a huge fan of Pinterest, and I found these two ideas, both of which use silicone molds to create the end product. Fun gifts to make and give, and perhaps to share (ahem)! click on the links to go directly to the pins (Photo credits go to the pinners of each project)
1.) Like the soap idea? Try these from GeekSoap! They have oodles of geek-inspired soaps, not just Star Wars. The company is PayPal certified, and has some great reviews (Images from Geeksoap.net).
2.) Men’s boxer briefs from Target – don’t fly Solo…pick these up for $9.99! Complete with gift bag!
3.) Ladies’ Star Wars Cosplay Panties from HotTopic – I actually own two sets of these and I love them! Very comfy and adorable! On sale now for $15.60 for a set of three.
4.) Fragrances are always a favorite pick for Valentine’s Day, and Lifestyle Perfumes has released a whole line of fragrances for both men and women. They are now available to purchase from Walmart (among other U.S. retailers), list price $13.46. I have seen some good reviews so far, but haven’t tried any yet – I am planning to pick up the Amidala perfume! I’ll give my review when I do!
5.) Setting the mood for that romantic dinner or dessert? Visit Amazon for this ThinkGeek officially licensed lightsaber candlestick!
6.) Kay Jewelers now has a whole line of great Star Wars jewelry. I have my eye on the ring pictured here – however, it is currently out of stock online. When I visited my local Kay Jewelers about three weeks ago, it was priced well, at $110, and it looks stunning. The Charmed Memories Collection is currently on sale, so if you or your special lady has been eyeing any of the charms, now could be the perfect time to snag one (or more)! There is also a good selection of men’s rings as well.
7.) Loungefly Limited Edition Valentine’s Day R2-R9 Dome Bag: This is a BoxLunch exclusive, and are of a VERY limited edition – each bag is numbered – so snag these while you can! I can vouch for Loungefly dome bag quality – I own the BB-8 dome bag, and it is awesome. You can check out my review here.
8.) Roses fade, flowers die…but Star Wars bouquets last forever! ThinkGeek has these whimsical bouquets featuring your choice of either astromech droids or Darth Vader surrounded by Stormtroopers.
What do you think of my picks?
Do you have any other unique DIY ideas or products for the Star Wars fan in your life? Maybe something you’ve had your eye on? Let me know, and I hope you ALL have a Valentine’s Day full of love from a Galaxy Far, Far Away!
Leave your comments below, or you can contact me directly. My favorite social media vice is twitter, just so you know!
Follow me on Twitter! I have two accounts: @JoyceKrebs, @KrebsKlass (my classroom account)
Proud to be Rogue 7 at Star Wars in the Classroom
Pinterest: Jay Krebs
May the Force be with you, and remember…
Coffee With Kenobi
This IS the podcast you’re looking for!Powered by Sidelines